Meijer Makes Black Friday a Weeklong Affair
Meijer began offering Black Friday deals on Sunday, Nov. 19, with sales continuing until the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
A 30-page "Black Friday All Week" circular offered deals on a wide variety of gift items including:
- $10 off a future trip with purchase of $100 worth of third-party gift cards. A Nov. 19 Twitter update and ad in a concurrent email also plugged the incentive.
- BOGO for select video games and toys.
- $50 off a future trip with purchase of a Vizio or Samsung television.
- two free ScentSationals wax melts or essential oils with purchase of the brand's wax warmer or diffuser.
A feature within the digital version of the tab plugged a "Build the Epic Stunt" sweepstakes awarding a 456-piece set of Mattel's Hot Wheels. Consumers enter by text message from Nov. 5 to Dec. 2. Other features touted the retailer's "Buy a Toy, Share the Joy" campaign and delivery through Shipt.
The mass merchant offered different sets of deals starting at 6 a.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Each day had its own circular, with deals including:
- $100 off a future trip with purchase of an Apple Watch on Thursday.
- a free Bissell FeatherWeight stick vacuum with the purchase of a Bissell floor care vacuum or deep cleaner on Friday.
- "Buy two, get one free" offers on giftwrap and gift bags.
Saturday also heralded the retailer's annual "Santa Bucks" promotion, with a set of five coupons each offering 20% off the purchase of a single general merchandise, apparel or health & beauty item priced $14.99 to $99.99.
A home page banner ad on meijer.com, emails, Facebook and Twitter updates, and radio spots promoted the sales.