7-Eleven Celebrates Its Birthday with the Cap'n
7-Eleven teamed with PepsiCo to launch a Slurpee flavor inspired by the manufacturer's Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries cereal ahead of the retailer's July 11 "birthday" celebration.
The Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries Slurpee flavor was first spotted in stores in June. Floorstands stocking “on the go” packs of Crunch Berries encourage shoppers to try the cereal and Slurpee beverage together.
Employing a “when breakfast just isn't enough” message, a June 28 Instagram update from Slurpee spotlighted the flavor's availability as well as a new promotional T-shirt depicting the cereal brand's cartoon sea captain mascot holding a Slurpee beverage. Display ads on websites including reddit.com also tout the cereal pack and beverage pairing while outdoor billboards, in-store translite signs and digital ads within Chicago Transit Authority train stops spotlight the beverage.
The collaboration comes at a time when cereal sales have sagged. While the category isn't going away, people aren't eating as much cereal as they used to, according to CBS This Morning. "Over the five years to 2017, revenue has declined 3.3%," Rory Masterson, a market analyst who tracks the cereal business, told the morning television program. "It's still almost a $10 billion industry, but it's not at pre-recessionary highs."
PepsiCo reported a low-single-digit decline in ready-to-eat cereals in fiscal 2017, which ended Dec. 30, 2017.
7-Eleven also rolled out new "Bistro" sandwiches and a s’mores brownie at select stores ahead of its annual "7-Eleven Day" celebration on July 11, when shoppers could get a free small Slurpee beverage.
“7-Eleven Day is a celebration, not only of our birthday, but more importantly, of our customers,” said Raj Kapoor, 7-Eleven senior vice president for fresh food and proprietary beverages, in a media release. “I encourage everyone to look around the store, grab an old favorite like a Big Bite hot dog to enjoy with their free Slurpee drink or maybe try something they haven’t. We have lots of delicious new choices in stores.”
Similar to past years, the retailer extended its birthday celebration to a week. This year, the retailer promised 7Rewards loyalty members a free:
- private-label 7-Select Pure water with purchase of a sports drink from BA Sports Nutrition's Bodyarmor on July 12.
- Big Gulp fountain drink with purchase of an eligible Mars Inc.'s Snickers candy bar on July 13.
- 7-Select popcorn with purchase of a 20-ounce SKU from Coca-Cola Co.'s Smartwater on July 14.
- Reese's candy bar with purchase of a share-size bag of 7-Select Gummies on July 15.
- 20-ounce Coca-Cola beverage with purchase of any baked snack crackers from Kellogg Co.'s Cheez-It on July 16.
- pack of 7-Select chips with a fresh sandwich purchase on July 17.
- pack of 7-Select tortilla chips with a 7-Select nuts purchase on July 18.
Floorstands located near Slurpee machines stocked additional small cups for 7-Eleven Day. A carousel ad on 7-eleven.com, in-store window clings, as well as July 11 Instagram, Twitter and Facebook updates from 7-Eleven and Slurpee supported the effort.