Procter & Gamble marked the May 9 observance of Mother's Day and activated its sponsorship of the Olympic Games in its latest edition of brandSaver.
Distributed on April 25 via Valassis, the stand-alone insert's front page depicted SKUs from Olay, Pantene and Secret alongside a card for "mom." The cover also boasted of up to $85 in coupons (depending on the market) contained within and depicted the logo for the Olympic Games, which will be held this summer in Tokyo after being postponed a year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The first interior page continued the theme with a "Celebrating Mother's Day on May 9th with love" message and spotlighted the benefits of personal care items from Olay and Pantene.
In other personal care activity:
- Pantene employed a full-page FSI to plug its "Miracle Rescue" hair care line.
- Secret shined a spotlight on its new Derma+ antiperspirant, depicting a seal positioning it as "dermatologically approved."
- Gillette, Old Spice and Head & Shoulders joined for an FSI promising shoppers who spend $30 or $50 worth of the brands' SKUs a $10 or $15 mail-in rebate, respectively, from Jan. 1 through June 30. The FSI depicted National Football League player DK Metcalf and directed shoppers to usedailyforgreatness.com to download the rebate form.
- Head & Shoulders positioned its haircare SKUs as "clinically proven" to provide "up to 100% dandruff protection."
- Herbal Essences communicated its hair care SKUs have new packaging but deliver "same hair-quenching moisture."
- Burt’s Bees positions its toothpastes (manufactured by P&G through a licensing deal with Clorox Co.) as free of artificial flavors and sweeteners.
In other noteworthy activity:
- Bounty, Charmin and Puffs encouraged shoppers to "Celebrate Mother's Day" and "save now."
- Febreze dangled BOGOF offers on Plug and Car SKUs.
- Swiffer engaged pet households with an FSI communicating "shed happens" and boasting its products "trap + lock pet hair."
Brands including Crest, Fixodent, Nervive, Vicks Zzzquil, Oral-B, Metamucil, Stressballs, Prilosec, Always, Gain, Tide, Downy, Dreft, 9, Mr. Clean, Cascade, Dawn and Pampers were also represented in the event.
Path to Purchase Institute members can view the full brandSaver article including images and retailer overlays on p2pi.org.