P&G, Target Go Exclusive with 'Inner Circle'
Procter & Gamble is piggybacking off of Target's Circle loyalty program to run an exclusive online community for the retailer's shoppers dubbed "Inner Circle."
Earlier this year, the manufacturer sent members of its P&G Everyday online community a Jan. 29 email blast directing them to a landing page to "join the Inner Circle" and sign up "to receive exclusive promotions, early access to new arrivals, and the hottest tips & trends from P&G brands" at the mass merchant. The partners have since sent Inner Circle members nearly 70 emails plugging new and exclusive SKUs, delivering multiple purchase incentives associated with P&G brands, and spotlighting various products by occasion or season. For example, a July 18 missive plugged Olay moisturizers and primers with SPF, and multiple emails throughout the summer plugged back-to-school household essentials from the manufacturer. Other standout activity this year has included:
- a Feb. 25 email plugging an exclusive, limited-edition gift set from the manufacturer's Olay Whip designed by international mural artist Kelsey Montague,
- an April 8 email touting P&G's NBD, a Target-exclusive, plant-based household essentials brand,
- an Aug. 8 email spotlighting a Target-exclusive line of children's dental SKUs from P&G's Crest and Oral-B,
- a Sept. 29 email blast plugging multiple gift card incentives, and
- an Oct. 2 email highlighting Olay moisturizers Conde Nast's Allure magazine "editors can't get enough of," including Target-exclusive Olay Regenerist brightening + vitamin C facial moisturizer.
Most emails also direct users to a webpage administered by Boston-based media company Jebbit communicating the manufacturer sells more than 60 brands at the mass merchant and inviting shoppers to take a survey to "find out which one's are most applicable to you." The survey then asks shoppers some eight questions including which type of area they reside in (rural, suburban or urban), who they live with (partner, children, pets, ect.), and how they wash their dishes (dishwasher, by hand, or both). After one Path to Purchase Institute editor took the survey, Charmin, Bounty, NBD and Native were selected as the P&G brands most relevant to her and the page communicated Inner Circle "will keep you updated on the latest promo, new arrivals, products tips and trips associated with these brands and more at Target."
Procter & Gamble did not respond to a request for comment and Target declined to discuss the program.
Target regularly teams with the manufacturer for programs and exclusive products, which are typically stocked on eye-catching, account-specific endcap displays. (The retailer, for example, is currently merchandising P&G's Secret, Ivory, Old Spice, Scope and Crest in "throwback" packaging on dedicated in-store displays.) The emails to Inner Circle members serve to further highlight P&G SKUs at the mass merchant.
To browse images of Inner Circle emails or P&G displays at Target, visit p2pi.org.