Giant-Carlisle Ramps up Phillies Sponsorship
Ahold Delhaize’s Giant-Carlisle heavily ramped up its sponsorship of Major League Baseball’s Philadelphia Phillies this season with a slew of new offerings and promotions, including bringing its Nature’s Promise private label to Citizens Bank ballpark.
Most recently, the grocer wrapped an incentive program rewarding shoppers with a free Phillies water bottle or $10 off official, licensed Phillies merchandise with purchase of at least $20 worth of participating products in a single transaction, from July 5-18. Participating brands included Procter & Gamble’s Gillette and Old Spice as well as Coca-Cola Co.’s flagship and Honest Tea.
Participants also earned entry into a sweepstakes awarding a trip to Phillies Phantasy Camp. In-store stanchion signs and multiple circular features supported the sweeps and purchase incentive.
In March, the Pennsylvania-based grocer unveiled a slew of new Phillies-themed offers as it entered into its second year as the team’s “official grocer.” Most notably, baseball fans could enjoy healthy snack options from the company’s Nature’s Promise line at concession stands throughout Citizens Bank ballpark, marking the first time the line would be available outside of the grocer’s walls.
Among additional efforts:
- Shoppers who wear Phillies apparel receive a 5% discount on qualifying purchases of at least $20, every Sunday home game, starting March 31. (Albertsons Cos.' Acme stages a similar offer activating its sponsorship of the Philadelphia Eagles on game days.)
- Whenever the Phillies score a home run in the 7th inning during Sunday home games, shoppers can text a code to receive an exclusive limited-time offer at Giant.
- Giant stores across the region are stocking new, licensed MLB Phillies merchandise including shirts, hats, water bottles, travel tumblers and lanyards.
- Between March 29 and April 11, Giant shoppers who spent $20 on participating products received a Catalina voucher for a free Phillies ticket. (Circular features supported.)
Like last year, the “Phillies Phanwagon” stopped at three Giant Stores on March 29, bringing giveaways and appearances from former Phillies players and ball girls. Other returning activity included:
- A Phanatic birthday cake decorating competition in late April involving 18 of the grocer’s own bakery specialists across 16 stores.
- Sponsoring the Phanatic MVP Club for fans 14 and under. Members receive access to prizes, exclusive events, ticket discounts and other benefits — including a discount coupon for a custom cake at Giant.
- Sponsoring Pride Night at the ballpark on June 26.
- Teamed with the Phillies to donate 250 hams to the organizations’ mutual community partner, Philabundance, the Delaware Valley’s largest hunger relief agency, on April 2. Giant employees and Phillies alum Mickey Morandini delivered the hams in advance of the Easter holiday. The duo teamed up again in support of Phans Feeding Families Day on June 8, which also benefitted Philabundance.
Giant has only had a presence in Philadelphia since 2011, so this partnership is a way to deepen its ties to the community. Earlier this year, the grocer debuted its newest store format, Giant Heirloom Market, in the city, where it has since announced plans for three additional locations by the end of 2019.