Albertsons Companies chains including its namesake, Safeway, Vons, Jewel-Osco, Randalls and Acme collaborated with National Football League sponsor PepsiCo/Frito-Lay on a weekly sweepstakes ahead of Super Bowl LV.
Running Jan. 6 through Feb. 11, the “Rush in to Win” sweeps leverages Albertsons’ Just for U loyalty program (or the Rewards! program used at a few of the smaller chains) to spotlight a new digital coupon for a participating product from the CPG giant each week, such as $1 off the purchase of two qualifying Pepsi or Tostitos SKUs. Loyalty members automatically receive one entry for each coupon redeemed in stores or online during the promotional period (one per week, five in total). Coupon start and end dates vary slightly by chain.
While the prize pool is divvied up by chain, 403 prizes will be awarded in total:
- 13 grand-prize winners will each receive “groceries for a year” in the form of $5,200 in respective chain gift cards,
- 39 first-prize winners will each receive $1,000 in chain gift cards, and
- 351 second-prize winners will each receive a $125 gift card to nflshop.com for an NFL jersey.
Respective chain circulars highlight each new "Rush in to Win" special offer every week in a dedicated, blue “Rush in to Win” feature. A corresponding microsite (rushintowin.com) from PepsiCo as well as a Rush in to Win e-commerce shop within respective chain websites also support, listing snacks and beverages for the game as well as highlighting the sweeps. Leaderboard ads on the page also promise $5 off online orders of $25 worth of select PepsiCo/Frito-Lay products made between Jan. 27 and Feb. 10 using a promo code.
The CPG giant also activated its NFL and Super Bowl LV halftime show sponsorship in stores as part of its annual Super Bowl promotional push. The Path to Purchase Institute spotted a dedicated Rush in to Win sign affixed to a PepsiCo/Frito-Lay lobby display employing the manufacturer’s “Countdown to Crunchtime” tagline at one Acme in Yonkers, NY.
Among additional football-themed activity at Albertsons chains in the lead up to the big game:
- Mondelez International’s Nabisco offered Acme loyalty members one free pizza from private label Signature Select with purchase of one party-size package of Ritz, Oreo or Chips Ahoy. In the snack aisle, account-specific shelf signs communicating a “Win Your Game Day” message plugged the offer. A feature in the retailer’s Jan. 8 Big Book of Savings monthly catalog supported and delivered an in-store Just for U coupon for those who don’t want to virtually clip the coupon for the incentive. The offer ran Jan. 8 through Feb. 4.
- Mars Inc.'s Snickers ran a home page carousel ad on chain websites inviting shoppers to “Huddle up with Snickers ice cream” and linked to the SKU's product detail page.
- Johnson & Johnson ran a leaderboard ad within chain websites encouraging shoppers to “Gear up for the big game” with “relief you can trust” from Pepcid, Lactaid and Imodium while linking to an e-commerce page listing related products from the manufacturer.
Path to Purchase Institute members can view more images from this year and previous years in the image vault on p2pi.org.