7-Eleven is tying in to the buzz surrounding the launch of Sony's latest video game console by staging a sweepstakes and hosting gamers at a Dallas-area store overnight.
The "Get What You Crave" sweeps will award 281 PlayStation 5 consoles, 35 prize packs comprising a "Marvel's Iron Man VR" Playstation bundle and assorted candy from Ferrara's Trolli, 99 Playstation DualSense wireless controllers, and 2,520 codes to download Sumo Digital's Sackboy: A Big Adventure video game, $10 PlayStation digital codes, and one-month PlayStation Now game subscriptions. The sweeps will also award 980 winners with 100,000 7Rewards points, which can be redeemed for select food and beverage items at participating 7-Eleven locations.
7Rewards loyalty members enter the sweeps from Jan. 6 through Feb. 24 by:
- purchasing (in stores or via 7Now delivery and in-store pickup) eligible product including Red Bull energy drinks, Trolli candy, PepsiCo/Frito-Lay's Doritos chips and Mountain Dew 20-ounce beverages, Kraft Heinz's Planters nuts, proprietary Slurpee and Big Gulp beverages, pizza, bakery items, private label 7-Select gummies, and store brand coffee.
- playing an augmented reality-enabled game within the retailer's mobile application that places a Mountain Dew-branded Slurpee machine in the player's room to virtually pour a beverage.
- buying a Slurpee, Big Gulp or coffee Tervis tumbler.
In stores, collectible Playstation Slurpee cups plug the sweeps and deliver a surprise when shoppers scan them in stores using the retailer's mobile app. Translite signs, signs affixed to Slurpee machines, Facebook and Twitter updates and covers, mobile app ads, and a promotional page and ads within 7-eleven.com also tout the sweeps.
7-Eleven is drumming up additional support for the PlayStation 5 console by providing gamers a chance to spend the night at a yet-to-open 7-Eleven Evolution store in Dallas County, TX. The location will be revamped with a plush, futuristic gaming area featuring a big screen TV, luxury loungers, a PS5 console and multiple games. The experience will also offer gamers:
- an exclusive one-hour Twitch streaming session with popular gamer and founder of world-renowned gaming organization FaZe Clan, FaZe Temperrr, and
- access to 7‑Eleven drinks and snacks, tacos from the in-store Laredo Taco Company restaurant, and products from brands such as Red Bull, Mountain Dew and Doritos.
Dallas County, TX, residents 18 years of age or older were able to book one of two available nights (Feb. 26 and Feb. 28) for $11 via an Airbnb page (airbnb.com/h/gaming-paradise) on Feb. 1. Hosted virtually by Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, the event will have a "certified COVID-19 compliance officer" on site to conduct health screenings, ensure individuals are wearing personal protective equipment, and manage social distancing guidelines, according to the Airbnb listing. Except when eating, gamers must wear masks at all times.
Once it opens, the 7-Eleven Evolution store will be one of six in the U.S. The concept store serves as an experiential testing ground where shoppers can try 7‑Eleven's latest innovations in a revolutionary store format.
Released on Nov. 12, 2020, the Playstation 5 console arrived on the market during a pandemic-fueled surge in gaming and it's been in short supply ever since. Tying in to the excitement surrounding the launch makes sense for 7-Eleven since gamers, for the most part, tend to be Millennial or Gen-z shoppers — a core demographic for the convenience store chain.
"Everyone knows that the PlayStation 5 console launch has been one of the biggest headlines in the gaming world the past few months," said Marissa Jarratt, 7‑Eleven senior vice president and chief marketing officer, in a media release. "The ultimate gamers' console warranted an experience just as exclusive in our newest 7‑Eleven Evolution store — our ultimate retail environment. We can't wait to immerse a few gamers in the limitless world of 7‑Eleven."
NOTE: For more images and information about the sweepstakes or 7-Eleven Evolution stores visit p2pi.org.